Applications of Data Structures
The data structures store the data according to the mathematical or logical model it is based on. The type of operations on a certain data structure makes it useful for specific tasks. Here is a brief discussion of different applications of data structures.
- Storing list of data elements belonging to same data type
- Auxiliary storage for other data structures
- Storage of binary tree elements of fixed count
- Storage of matrices
- Implementing stacks, queues, binary trees and graphs of predefined size.
- Implement dynamic memory management functions of operating system.
- Polynomial implementation for mathematical operations
- Circular linked list is used to implement OS or application functions that require round robin execution of tasks.
- Circular linked list is used in a slide show where a user wants to go back to the first slide after last slide is displayed.
- When a user uses the alt+tab key combination to browse through the opened application to select a desired application
- Doubly linked list is used in the implementation of forward and backward buttons in a browser to move backwards and forward in the opened pages of a website.
- Circular queue is used to maintain the playing sequence of multiple players in a game.
- Temporary storage structure for recursive operations
- Auxiliary storage structure for nested operations, function calls, deferred/postponed functions
- Manage function calls
- Evaluation of arithmetic expressions in various programming languages
- Conversion of infix expressions into postfix expressions
- Checking syntax of expressions in a programming environment
- Matching of parenthesis
- String reversal
- In all the problems solutions based on backtracking.
- Used in depth first search in graph and tree traversal.
- Operating System functions
- UNDO and REDO functions in an editor.
- It is used in breadth search operation in graphs.
- Job scheduler operations of OS like a print buffer queue, keyboard buffer queue to store the keys pressed by users
- Job scheduling, CPU scheduling, Disk Scheduling
- Priority queues are used in file downloading operations in a browser
- Data transfer between peripheral devices and CPU.
- Interrupts generated by the user applications for CPU
- Calls handled by the customers in BPO
- Implementing the hierarchical structures in computer systems like directory and file system
- Implementing the navigation structure of a website
- Code generation like Huffman’s code
- Decision making in gaming applications
- Implementation of priority queues for priority based OS scheduling functions
- Parsing of expressions and statements in programming language compilers
- For storing data keys for DBMS for indexing
- Spanning trees for routing decisions in computer and communications networks
- Hash trees
- path-finding algorithm to implement in AI, robotics and video games applications
- Representing networks and routes in communication, transportation and travel applications
- Routes in GPS
- Interconnections in social networks and other network based applications
- Mapping applications
- Ecommerce applications to present user preferences
- Utility networks to identify the problems posed to municipal or local corporations
- Resource utilization and availability in an organization
- Document link map of a website to display connectivity between pages through hyperlinks
- Robotic motion and neural networks
These are a few applications of data structures to make appropriate storage and management of data for specific applications.